While winter seems like it’s already been around for way too long, its influence on our heating bill is just beginning. Achieving low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be challenging, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to possibly decrease those costs. That’s why we’ve developed a few furnace tips to help stave off high heating bills.
To start controlling your heating bills and enhancing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open throughout the warmest hours of the day to allow sunlight in, heating your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Purchasing a programmable thermostat so that you can more easily control the temperature in your home, which will also enhance energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every few months.
- Checking your home's heating vents to ensure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if your furnace has been around for more than 15 years.
- Installing insulation to your attic to keep warm air from escaping.
- Checking your roof to ensure your shingles are intact, and that there are no holes or areas that need to be sealed.
Trying to keep your energy bills low and energy efficiency high, is a year-round practice, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t take a few small steps to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions about the tips above or questions about how you can reduce your heating bills, give us a buzz at (616) 669-3961. Our experts are here to help ensure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Hudsonville weather.