Typically, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Contingent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, if you have pets, and how regularly your air filter has been replaced, to name a handful—you may adjust your air duct cleaning
more or less regularly. So, how can you know for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are absolutely some significant signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns caked with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a jam inside your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers blowing out dust?
- When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see a collection of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents found shelter in your ductwork?
- Can you hear sound other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have not as much airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to ask West Michigan Heating & Air Conditioning Services in Hudsonville about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a couple things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and lengthen the amount of time between professional cleanings.
First and foremost, schedule routine HVAC maintenance with the specialists at West Michigan Heating & Air Conditioning Services. A maintenance check of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should consist of inspection, and potential replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system operating efficiently, and should help keep your ducts clean.
You can also chat with the team at West Michigan Heating & Air Conditioning Services about installing an air purification system. We provide the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other actions you can take include:
- Consistently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Examining your air filters routinely and replacing them when the manufacturer recommends changing them. Most filters will display dust on them after a short period in service, but they may not demand replacement.
- Sealing leaks in air ducts that allow dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Exchanging poor or broken air-duct insulation.
With an expert air duct cleaning and some preventive measures, you can help keep the air in your Hudsonville home clean and healthy. Give the professionals at West Michigan Heating & Air Conditioning Services a call at (616) 669-3961.