Whether you like winter or favor the warmer months in Hudsonville, a lot of us make adjustments to make sure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a huge impact on your utility costs, but there are steps you can take to help lower those costs.
- Check weather stripping – As the years go on, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to find any drafts that should be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be helpful in keeping your home warm. Keep them open during the day when the sun is out, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it should be switched out. We recommend at least once every three months, but every household is different, so that can vary.
- Buy a programmable thermostat – It may seem like just a convenient way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also save you money! You can fix temperatures to be on a lower setting when you are away from the home or sleeping. Being more mindful of efficiency will help with heating costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Check to see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to reduce the chances of heat escaping.
- Book routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs to have checkups, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will verify that your system is operating effectively and efficiently. They can also detect small issues that could end up as more costly repairs if ignored.
- Assess your HVAC system – If you notice your energy bills are continually increasing—despite your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. The team at West Michigan Heating & Air Conditioning Services can help you examine the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also supports the health of your equipment, which means your system will last longer.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide insight on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give West Michigan Heating & Air Conditioning Services in Hudsonville a call to get started. Contact our team at (616) 669-3961 or book an appointment with us online.